MONTE VISTA ATHLETIC BOOSTERS SCHOLARSHIP AWARD 2021
Deadline for submissions of materials
Monday April 19, 2021, 3:30pm.
All documents below are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business (3:30 pm) on Monday April 19, 2021. (Email subject line: “MVAB SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION – “STUDENT’S NAME”)
Submissions with incomplete/missing documents will not be eligible for consideration.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (coach and teacher/administrator)
- Copy of High School Transcript
To recognize and reward Monte Vista student athletes who demonstrate excellence through athletic participation, academic achievement, and service to Monte Vista High School.
Up to six (6) $1,000 scholarship-awards will be awarded. One of the goals of the awards committee is to allocate awards equally to female and male student athletes when possible, depending on the applications submitted. The number of scholarships will be determined annually by the Executive Board of MVAB and announced at the October meeting.
To be eligible for consideration, a nominee must:
- Currently be enrolled as a senior student in good standing and a candidate for graduation from Monte Vista High School.
- Participated in a Monte Vista Department sponsored sport for 2 out of the 4 years, and be a “team member” of your sport your senior year whether or not the sport is being played.
- Demonstrated commitment to his/her sport through exemplary participation, leadership or other involvement with the sport or team.
- Currently earning a cumulative GPA (grades 9-12) of 3.0 or higher.
- Demonstrated a commitment to Monte Vista High School through school leadership, service or other extracurricular participation.
- Enroll in and begin study at a two- or four-year college or trade school within one year of graduating from high school; or be under contract to join the US Military.
- The $1,000 scholarship is to be used toward tuition, fees and/or books at the college of the student’s choice.
- The $1,000 scholarship is to be used for the 2021-2022 school year and is non-transferable.
- The scholarship funds will be distributed to the selected student’s college after MVAB receives proof of acceptance from the college that the student will be attending.
- In the case where a US Military candidate is the recipient of the award, those funds will be issued to the individual as a grant. The award will not be granted unless the individual successfully completes basic training within one year of the award date and submits a letter from their command stating their valid military status.
The Evaluation Committee will be determined by the Executive Board and shall consist of no less than 5 individuals, one of whom must be the Monte Vista Athletic Director (or designee). The Evaluation Committee will review all applications and choose the recipients. Scholarship recipients will be notified by the end of May. Each application must be accompanied by:
- Complete the formal student Scholarship Application: See link to application form on this page (right-hand column of web page);
- Two (2) letters of recommendations: One from a Monte Vista coach and one from another person (such as a teacher or school administrator);
- Student Essay Topic Choose one; we prefer not to receive generic college application essays –
- In what ways has your involvement with MV athletics shaped you as a person and prepared you for the next phase of your life?
- During your years at MV, highlight a challenge you’ve had to overcome. What was it about the challenge that made it particularly difficult and how did overcoming that challenge help you develop / what perspective did it give you?
- Copy of High School Transcript
Deadline for submission of applications – Monday April 19, 2021.
See process for submission at TOP of this section.